Concerning MATERIAL GENEROSITY and MATERIAL PROSPERITY for Christians the “BASIC DOCTRINE ON MATERIAL WEALTH” has to do with:
• LABOURING fervently to earn your living (Ecc 9:10; Act 20:34-35; Rom 12:11; Eph 4:28; 1Thes 2:9; 4:11; 2Thes 3:8-11),
• CONTENTMENT with what you earn (1Tim 6:6),
• GENEROSITY with what you give (Act 20:35; 1Tim 6:18),
• PRAYER for grace in your labours (Deut 8:17-18; 3John 2-3), and
• DILIGENT walk in the Truth (3John 2-3).
*On these matters, Saint Paul told Timothy the things he must “TEACH AND EXHORT” (1Tim 6:2b) in the following verses.*
(3) If anyone teaches false doctrine and REFUSES TO AGREE WITH THE HEALTHY WORDS OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST AND GODLY TEACHING,
(4) he is a conceited person and does not understand anything. He has an unhealthy craving for arguments and debates. This produces jealousy, rivalry, slander, evil suspicions,
(5) and incessant conflict between people who are depraved in mind and deprived of truth. THEY THINK THAT GODLINESS IS A WAY TO MAKE A PROFIT.
(6) OF COURSE, GODLINESS WITH CONTENTMENT DOES BRING A GREAT PROFIT.
(7) For we did not bring anything into the world, and surely we cannot take anything out of it.
(8) So as long as we have food and clothes, we will be satisfied with these.
(9) But PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GET RICH keep toppling into temptation and are trapped by many stupid and harmful desires that plunge them into destruction and ruin.
(10) FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY IS A ROOT OF ALL KINDS OF EVIL. SOME PEOPLE, IN THEIR EAGERNESS TO GET RICH, HAVE WANDERED AWAY FROM THE FAITH AND PIERCED THEMSELVES WITH MUCH PAIN.
(11) BUT YOU, MAN OF GOD, MUST FLEE FROM ALL THESE THINGS. Instead, you must pursue righteousness, godliness, faithfulness, love, endurance, and gentleness.
(12) Fight the good fight for the faith. Keep your hold on eternal life, to which you were called and about which you gave a good testimony in front of many witnesses.
(13) In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and in the sight of Christ Jesus, who gave a good testimony before Pontius Pilate, I solemnly charge you
(14) to KEEP THIS COMMAND STAINLESS AND BLAMELESS UNTIL THE APPEARANCE OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.
(15) At the right time God will make him known. He is the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords.
(16) He alone has endless life and lives in inaccessible light. No one has ever seen him, nor can anyone see him. Honor and eternal power belong to him! Amen.
(17) TELL THOSE WHO ARE RICH IN THE PRESENT WORLD not to be arrogant and not to place their confidence in anything as uncertain as riches. Instead, let them place their confidence in God, who lavishly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.
(18) THEY ARE TO DO GOOD, TO BE RICH IN GOOD WORKS, TO BE GENEROUS, AND TO SHARE.
(19) By doing this they store up a treasure for themselves that is a good foundation for the future, so that they can take hold of the life that is real.
(20) Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you. Avoid the pointless discussions and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge.
(21) Although some claim to have it, they have abandoned the faith.
May grace be with all of you!