Christmas on 25th December is NOT Pagan.
*WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF THE DATES FOR CELEBRATING CHRIST’S NATIVITY AND EPIPHANY OF TODAY’S CHRISTMASTIDE?*
Christmas is a Church service in which the Nativity of Christ is read and preached from the Bible, NOT a street festivity derived from pagans. Christmas worship for commemoration of Christ’s Nativity by the Church is not same as street “Xmas” carnival and frivolity. Unfortunately, any divine matter brought to Gentiles, they will always corrupt with the debauchery of their pagan culture.
Due to persecution by Rome, and calendar confusion and complexities of the ancient world, several ancient Churches could only mention and commemorate Christ’s conception, birth and death as often as they would independently and irregularly. They could not arrive at a fixed annual date to hold open unified annual celebration. According to a known writing of Bishop Clement of Alexandria, the Egyptian Church had started their open unified celebration of Epiphany before 215 AD. The European Church remained underground or persecuted till toleration Edict of Milan was promulgated in 313 AD by the co-Caesars Constantine and Licinius for both the Rome and Byzantium.
CHRISTMAS WAS FIXED BY CHRONOLOGICAL CALCULATIONS
1. We know Christ died around the shifting lunar date of the Passover but fixed solar date of Vernal Equinox.
2. We believe Christ’s perfection implies that He took up flesh (conceived) on the same fixed date He put off flesh (death).
3. If we accurately calculate the date of His death, we can easily extrapolate the date of His conception and birth.
4. Egyptian Church calculated the Spring Equinox of His death to be on April 6 by their Macedonian calendar, so he must have been conceived April 6 to be born on January 6 Winter Solstice.
5. Roman Church calculated the Spring Equinox of His death to be on March 25 by their Julian calendar, so He must have been conceived on March 25 to be born on December 25 Winter Solstice.
6. Inter-calendar margin of error between December 25 and January 6 gives rise to the Twelve Days of Christmas.
7. The Christmas Twelve Days has had other feasts celebrated by Roman pagans especially January 1 New Year from the time of Julius Caesar in 45 BC and later Unconquered Sun introduce by Caesar Aurelius in 271 AD. But none of these old or even new pagan fixtures has right to lay any claim on any day for any pagan idol because ALL DAYS BELONG TO CHRIST. Anyone who believes that any day belongs to any pagan idol is an IDOLATER! Only Christ has claim on any day under the sun. (The coincidence of the new pagan feast of Unconquered Sun with the older feast of Christ’s Nativity was actually surprising to some Church Fathers.)
8. As the Church’s Christmas season has grown in scope and significance over the years, so more and more pagan ways of celebration and culture have sought to contaminate, commercialize or even compete with Christmas as found in the Scripture.
9. Christmas has no pagan origin as many erroneously conjecture today, but originated from the Herald Heavenly Angels and the Star-guided Eastern Wisemen as the Gospel records show. Pagan contamination is not same as pagan origination.
10. In the past the Church passed several decrees banning several pagan encroachments into Christmas over the centuries, but till today more and more heathenish elements are still being innovated and introduced into the Church’s Christmas – these must be continuously resisted, for the devil must be fought without fainting till the last day.
*25TH DECEMBER BELONGS TO GOD ALONE! Just like all other days.*
Pagans may falsely POSTULATE that 25th December belongs to their gods or they may vainly PROTEST that celebrating or commemorating the birth of our Lord offends them, but the Church will never cave in to their gimmicks.
In fact, the real ignorant superstition, outright paganism and occultist idolatry is to agree to allocate or avoid any day of the year or any time of the day or any era of history on the lie that it belongs to any pagan feast or any idol for any of their purposes. The only TRUTH is that NO DAY belongs to pagans and their idols rather EVERY DAY belongs to God and His people to celebrate whatever they plan to celebrate unhindered.
If the devil had succeeded in blackmailing the Church against the FEAST of Christ’s nativity, it would have since proceeded with denying the FACT of Christ’s nativity. Or worse still, forced the Church to stop mentioning both the FEAST and the FACT as seen recently attempted in North America!
Though pagans from ancient times have attributed every day of the year to one false god or the other by their superstition, yet from the Scriptures God has not allocated any day of the year to any pagan demon. All days are of God according to the Scriptures. One therefore wonders why any true Christian would have the scruples to accept pagan superstition as true.
Do we work by SCRUPLES, SPECULATIONS and SUPERSTITION or do we work by SCRIPTURES?
True Christians cannot accept the superstitious thinking that any day belongs to any pagan god. Christians can use any day for any biblical programme the Church wants to hold. Christians know and worship only the One God and reject all subjection to any gods (1Cor 8:5-6); nor does the Church regard any pagan claim over any day as their holiday (Col 2:14-16).
No Christian should ever fall into such a subtle snare and superstitious scruples of relinquishing any day to any pagan deity. To attribute any day to any pagan gods is idolatry and bondage!!!
25th December does not belong to any false god. Where in the Scriptures are days attributed to any demonic deity? No day belongs to any other than to God (Rom 14:5-6). Don’t let yourself be misled by malignant misinformation and speculations derived from superstitions and scruples but not from Scripture.
Christmas (recent 11th Century English word not coined by Church leadership) is a street nickname for the ancient annual programme which the Church calls FEAST OF NATIVITY OF OUR LORD – a programme commemorative of biblical events NOT a pagan event.
The Church is given the heavenly backed authority to appoint or decree (Job 22:28) or bind/loose (Mat 16:19) any day to celebrate or commemorate any matter from any portion of the Scriptures – whether daily, annually, occasionally or as regular as the Church deems fit. The Church does not need to regard whether false worshippers of false gods have any false programmes on the same day. To regard such would mean superstition scruples not Scriptural soundness..
Christmas is not pagan. Christ’s birth demands that you speak and live for Christ alone.
Christmas that marks the nativity of Christ is not pagan nor should it be a celebration of Santa, Trees and Logs, bells and mistletoe, etc. Christmas should be marked by remembering to engage in those things that happened at the birth of Christ as found in the Scriptures. Christmas should be a celebration of the Nativity of Christ after the examples of the Angels, Wisemen and Shepherds marked by:
+ worship to God and carol singing about Christ (as is done by many Churches and Choirs today),
+ presentation of offerings of great value to God,
+ proclaiming Jesus as the Christ of God, the Lord of all and the Saviour of all,
+ great joy and gratitude (for God’s great gift of a Saviour of all),
+ making peace with and among all people,
+ exchange of goodwill (as greetings, gestures and gifts),
+ biblical inquiry from God’s Word (Bible Teaching Retreat as done by some Churches today),
+ travels for missionary/charitable visit and pilgrimage, and
+ evangelistic outreach preaching of the Gospel of eternal salvation from sin through faith in Jesus Christ.
Celebrations are not times to do things and forget, but a time to renew doing things after the celebration.
Christmas celebration is to rejoice at remembering that Christ came factually in history and a time to remember to be ready for Christ’s coming again in glory.
Christmas is not a time for carnal joy of smoking, drugging and drinking parties, rancour, violence, robbery, profiteering, sexual immorality, carousing and rioting. Such carnalities cannot truly express the spiritual joy proclaimed by heavenly Angels unto our holy God for His goodness.
Christmas should be a time of making peace and sharing goodwill amongst all people, both Jews and Gentiles, Christians and non-Christians – A TIME FOR ALL HUMANITY TO JOIN THE ANGELS IN THE CAROL OF PRAISE TO GOD with great joy for God’s love-gift of the Saviour. But more than merely celebrating the birth of Christ, we need to BELIEVE IN HIM AND YIELD OUR LIVES TO HIM to save us from sin and damnation. In this way we will be at peace with God and be instruments of God’s peace in the world.