HOW SWEET THE NAME OF JESUS SOUND
1. How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer’s ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.
2. It makes the wounded spirit whole,
And calms the troubled breast;
’Tis manna to the hungry soul,
And to the weary rest.
3. Dear name! the rock on which I build,
My shield and hiding-place,
My never-failing treasury filled
With boundless stores of race.
4. Jesus! my Shepherd, Brother, Friend,
My Prophet, Priest and King,
My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
Accept the praise I bring.
5. Weak is the effort of my heart,
And cold my warmest thought;
But when I see thee as thou art,
I’ll praise Thee as I ought,
6. Till then I would Thy love proclaim
With every fleeting breath;
And may the music of Thy name
Refresh my soul in death.