First, believe the preaching to come into the covenant;
Next, obey the covenant commands for best benefits.
Commandments are not means to obtain God’s free Gifts, but ways to maintain such free Gifts.
Jesus commissioned the Apostles to first PREACH to all nations believe the Gospel of salvation through Christ and baptize them into His New Covenant, then thereafter TEACH them to observe His COMMANDS on how to best enjoy Christ’s salvation.
In the same way, …
God sent Moses to first CALL Israel to stand still in faith and see the promised salvation of God out of Egypt and bring them to Sinai for the Old Covenant with God, then thereafter TEACH them to obey His LAW on how to best enjoy God’s salvation.
(18) And Jesus came to them and spake unto them, saying, All authority hath been given unto me in heaven and on earth.
(19) Go ye therefore, and MAKE DISCIPLES of all the nations, BAPTIZING them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit:
(20) TEACHING them to observe all things whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
God’s free promised GIFTS have DIRECTIVES for use.
For eternal benefit, receive the promises by FAITH and use them OBEDIENTLY.
Gentile spirit of error in the modern Church has made out the Law or Commandments as nuisance due to the folly of heathenish rebellion and deception. In reality, God’s word, laws, judgments, statutes, ordinances, injections, commandments, precepts and testimonies in the Scriptures are:
not taunts but covenant truths;
not constraints but covenant counsels;
not gags but covenant guides;
not for caging but covenant corrections;
not for enslavement but for covenant enhancement;
not demands but covenant directions;
not for burdens but for covenant bearings;
not for frustration but for furnishing.
David (the man after God’s heart) got this great insight of these benefits that he loves and is committed to God’s Word as he reveals thus:
(97) [Mem] O HOW I LOVE your law! it is my meditation all the day.
(98) You through your commandments have made me wiser than my enemies: for they are ever with me.
(99) I have more understanding than all my teachers: for your testimonies are my meditation.
(100) I understand more than the ancients, because I keep your precepts.
(101) I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep your word.
(102) I have not departed from your judgments: for you have taught me.
(103) How sweet are your words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
(104) Through your precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
(105) [Nun] Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
(106) I HAVE SWORN, and I will perform it, that I will keep your righteous judgments.
Saint Paul also taught Timothy so
2 Timothy 3:15-17
(15) And that from a child you have known the holy scriptures, which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
(16) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(17) That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.