SEVEN DIVINE REDEMPTIVE COVENANTS IN THE SCRIPTURES
God has set His visible and invisible creation to be governed by the forces of NATURAL ORDINANCES and the powers of COVENANT ORDINANCES. Humanity has been empowered to exploited natural forces for theoretical SCIENCE and technological SKILL as well as called to exploit covenant powers for human SOCIETY and godly SPIRITUALITY. Understanding natural forces and covenant powers are crucial to fruitful human involvement with God and with His gracious gifts to us – His Word, His creation and His salvation.
*Divine Redemptive Covenants are not about duration of eras and epochs but about redemptive condescending of God revealing Himself for our engagements with God through faith and fervour, devotion and stewardship.*
According to plain Scriptures,
• God made immutable ordinance covenant with the Created Order (Jer 33:20, 25).
• God also made progressively successive covenants with Humanity through:
1. Adam (Hos 6:7) with universal mandate and *Promise of the MESSIANIC SEED* (Gen 3:15),
2. Noah (Gen. 9:9-17) with universal mandate and assurance,
3. *Abraham* (Gen. 12:2-7; Gen 17:2-21) – reaffirmed to Isaac (Gen 26:2-6) and Jacob (Gen 28:10-16) – for both GENEALOGICAL *National Descendants’ greatness by BIRTH* and *UNIVERSAL Disciples’/Dependants’ Blessing by FAITH* (Gal 3:6-9), with *Promise of the of the MESSIANIC SEED* (Gen 12:3; Gen 18:8; Gen 22:18; Gal 3:16) for MESSIANIC UNIVERSAL BLESSING of salvation from sin (Act 3:25-26; Rom 15:29; Gal 3:9-14; Eph 1:3;),
4. *Israel* – at Sinai (Exd 24:4-8; 34: 10-28), as Old national SHADOW Covenant of the New Universal SUBSTANTIVE Covenant,
– renewed at Moab (Deut 29:1ff),
– renewed under Joshua (Josh 24),
– renewed under Jehoiada (2Chron 23:16),
– renewed under Hezekiah (2Chron 29:10),
– renewed under Josiah (2Kin 23:3),
– renewed under Ezra (Ezr 10:3),
5. *Levi* (Malachi 2:4) and Phinehas (Num 25:12-13) for national Israel in SHADOW Earthly Sanctuary but subject to greater Promise of MELCHIZEDEK PRIEST-King for all nations SUBSTANTIVE Heavenly Sanctuary (Psa 110; Heb 5:4-10; Heb 9:8-15),
6. *David* (2Sam 7; 1Chron 17) with *Promise of the MESSIANIC SEED,*
7. All Peoples through *Christ* (Isa 49:8; Jer 58:5; 31:31-33; Heb 8) and the *manifestation of the MESSIANIC SEED* for the UNIVERSAL MESSIANIC BLESSING of Eternal Salvation as ONE Church (Gal 2).
NOTE: *None of these covenants has any terms which mention that the redemptive Truth they reveal would cease to be divine Truth or fail to be fulfilled before the world passes away; in fact they all look forward to their fulfilment in Christ. And “dispensation” in the Scriptures does not mean duration or epoch, but stewardship or assignment.*
All pre-messianic covenants in the Scriptures are CUMULATIVELY REVELATORY (Rom 15:4; 1Cor 10:11; 2Tim 3:15-17; Heb 1:1-2) and PROGRESSIVELY REDEMPTIVE (Heb 9:8-15; 11:39-40) in order to SCHOOL and TUTOR humanity unto Christ (Gal 3:21-27; 4:1-7).
Jesus Christ brought the Eternal Messianic Salvation from sin’s depravity, dominion and damnation for all humanity through His NEW COVENANT to be the culminating and perfecting fulfilment of all the precepts, provisions and promises of all former typological REDEMPTIVE COVENANTS.
All Redemptive Revelatory Covenants in the Scriptures are cumulatively TYPOLOGICAL SHADOWS (Heb 8:5; 10:1) building on one another toward their final fulfillment in Christ as their ultimate ANTI-TYPOLOGICAL SUBSTANCE (Col 2:16-17).
So then, all God’s past covenants were not failed or void projects (Isa 55:11) as the Dispensationalists vainly theorize in recent times, rather they all cumulatively and progressively, serve God’s redemptive, revelatory and instructive purpose for all humanity till today.
God’s “Word is for ever settled in heaven” (Psa 119:89), and “the Scriptures cannot be broken” (John 10:35).